Master in International Management (after-work schedule)
Programme Director: Álvaro Rosa
ISCTE Business School is one of the leading business schools in Portugal whose faculty members and research continue to appear at the forefront of investigation topics in International Management. Distinguished by its applied approach towards business the school’s focus on community and economic outreach has led to the development of various programmes in partnership with local community and other organisations.
The MSc in International Management is taught entirely in English and is open to students that possess a Bachelor's degree in the area of Management or relevant experience in international business. This highly competitive academic programme prepares students to take the next steps professionally, to work within global business enterprises and internationally-connected organisations or academically to pursue research questions.
ISCTE Business School has a great tradition of teaching in the field of Management:
- There is a close working relationship between students and faculty;
- Students benefit from weekly contact hours, continual email contact and a sustained relationship with alumni throughout their professional lives.
The success of people in organizations involves aligning technical knowledge with soft skills which are often the decisive element in performance and the development of a professional path. MIM acknowledges this importance and incorporates them as an important part of the programme.
Why Choose the MIM at IBS
Some of the strengths of the IBS Master's in International Management are:
- A timetable tailored for students with professional commitments;
- An intensive and compact programme, lasting one year (plus final project/dissertation);
- A multicultural study environment with fellow students and a faculty made up from many different nationalities;
- Due credit is given both to:
1) Professional interests, through modules aiming at the acquisition of "how to" competences in international settings;
2) More research-oriented interests, through modules and seminars aimed at the acquisition of capabilities for conducting investigation in the area of international management.
- "Wide band" programme designed to respond to a vast array of interests and specialities;
- Experienced national and international faculty; more than 60% of our staff come from abroad; Plus, the faculty of ISCTE Business School has authored more than 100 books in different management disciplines, many of which are now required reading at other Portuguese universities;
- Possibility of participating in optional modules in places such as India and Japan.
- Possibility of getting a double master degree from some partner universities.
- Students have the possibility of learning the Portuguese language during the programme. This provides students with opportunities in some of most dynamic markets (Brazil, Angola among others). Portuguese is spoken by around 300 million people spread across all continents.
- Lisbon offers exceptional historical heritage and a large variety of cultural and leisure time activities - ISCTE Business School is located close to the heart of Lisbon.
- Financial advantage over other academic centres in Europe and United States. As the cost of living is below that of other capitals, students will find the time spent in Lisbon free from money concerns.
The aim of the master is to provide specialised training of academic nature with research activity, innovation and the deepening of professional skills in the field of international management.
MIM is designed to equip students with the necessary knowledge and analytical skills that will allow them to play key roles within international business contexts and environments. To help our students achieve their career goals, the study plan offered by MIM brings together a global perspective, tools for the development of strategic management and knowledge of the principle challenges faced by international managers.
The MSc in International Management’s core focus is on:
- Personal skills training;
- Applied and practical approach towards international business that will allow students to develop their understanding of international managerial frameworks;
- Awareness of how the different processes that are characteristic of our globalised world affect how we do business internationally.
Erasmus Program and Exchange Mobility
Exchange programmes allow students to spend some time studying outside ISCTE Business School, offering the opportunity to get to know a new university, meet new people and become immersed in a new culture. IBS has a wide network of partner universities with around 180 institutions on five continents. Students have the opportunity of an enriching experience; making contact with other nationalities, cultures and societies, and developing their independence and a capacity to adapt to new situations. This will open new personal and professional horizons.
ISCTE Business School (IBS) is continuously seeking to establish new partnerships with companies and business schools, at the same time strengthening and improving the existing partnerships. For IBS, the proximity to business schools and to corporate world is crucial for the value creation for all School’s stakeholders and for the society.
lBS currently has more than 50 partnerships with business schools accredited by AACSB, EQUIS or AMBA. It is promoting various types of cooperation with its partners allowing students to participate in exchange programmes, double degrees and summer schools. Such a close relationship with partners is an excellent opportunity to experience contact with a variety of different cultures, different teaching and learning methods allowing personal and professional development of IBS students.
In addition to the exchange programmes, it is possible to get a second Master's degree from universities which have a specific agreement in place with the Master in International Management / ISCTE Business School.
After spending the 1st year at IBS within the MIM programme, students may spend one semester at one of our partner universities, attending the appropriate Master's programme and, at the same time, working on their dissertation project. These courses are fully recognized within the MIM at IBS.
After completing the taught part of both programmes in this way, students present a final dissertation/project complying with the requirements of both universities, earning two master degrees.
Partner universities or business schools granting a double degree in conjunction with IBS:
|Master Programme||Partner Universities|
MSc in International Management
|KEDGE Business School Bordeaux - France (AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA accredited)|
|Pforzheim University - Germany (AACSB accredited)|
|Universitas Gadjah Mada - Indonesia
|University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Economics - Slovenia (AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA accredited)|
(AACSB, EQUIS accredited)
Note: For more information consult the site.
Double degree experience at KEDGE in France: Read more about a MIM student's experience.
Mariana Ramos, MSc. in International Management, 2015
"Bordeaux was an astonishing experience. I have already participated in the Erasmus Programme and had an amazing experience, which I thought to be impossible to surpass. Nonetheless, not only was Bordeaux able to excel all my expectations in several aspects, it also provided me the best chances of growth academically, personally and professionally. The city itself is absolutely beautiful. It is an historic city listed as a "Word Heritage Site" by UNESCO. Bordeaux is crossed by the river Garonne which makes the sidewalks the perfect place to walk and to practice outdoor activities. The population is extremely active on that aspect. Although Bordeaux is city that rains a lot, that does not stop their people to continue doing their normal lives outside. Regarding the academic life, the Double Degree programme was very intense, both in terms of scheduling and in the amount of assignments, due to the several courses we had along the semester. This required being highly organised as a way to manage having time for all parts of life. The programme itself gave me a lot of preparation to embrace the world of work as some courses, for example, were specifically linked with self-knowledge and included some practical exercises like interviews’ role-plays. Overall, it was a merveilleuse experience that I will never forget."
Accreditation A3ES Link
Number of Years: 6
Date of Publication: 21-11-2013
Registration Number: R/A-Ef 1067/2011/AL04
Registration Date: 29-03-2018