MSc in Economics
The students of the MSc in Economics may apply to a double-degree programme in International Economics at the University of Warsaw.
Director: Henrique Monteiro and Isabel Salavisa Lança
This Master programme is recommended for students with a good technical background who wish to obtain a rigorous, in-depth education in economic theory and policy at the graduate level, to prepare a successful career in research or as professional economists working for central banks, the banking industry, government institutions, and international organisations or as economic advisors and financial consultants. It also provides a rigorous preparation for students who wish to advance to a PhD program.
The degree consists of one year of full-time coursework, plus one year for research and writing a dissertation. Both semesters in the first year provide solid foundations in the core subjects (microeconomics, macroeconomics and econometrics) and equip you with the tools of economic analysis, while allowing you to choose four additional courses in the field. In the final two semesters, you will develop your dissertation under the supervision of a faculty member and will benefit from additional guidance in a seminar on economic research. The full programme provides 120 ECTS credits.
A rigorous preparation in Economics at the graduate level, in an accredited school such as IBS, opens up many career opportunities in areas within economics proper but also in finance and management. To be able to achieve this while living in the beautiful and welcoming city of Lisbon is one more reason to choose our programme.
ISCTE Business School
ISCTE Business School is one of the leading Portuguese institutions in Economics and Management. It offers a great learning opportunity in an international environment where students from diverse backgrounds work together.
- The faculty of ISCTE Business School have authored hundreds of scientific articles in international peer-reviewed journals across the different scientific subjects IBS covers;
- The school takes pride in the close working relationship fostered between our students and faculty;
- Students benefit from weekly contact hours, career support staff, and a sustained relationship with alumni throughout their professional lives.
Why choose the MSc in Economics?
- You will be challenged to understand complex current and future economic issues that affect everyone’s livelihoods.
- You will build the skills needed to contribute to economic debates and policy choices.
- You will learn to handle advanced modeling techniques and use computational software which is integrated into regular classes (for example MATLAB, E-Views, STATA).
- We have a dedicated faculty of research-oriented lecturers, who strive to lead students to excellence while giving them support and orientation. You may even be involved in our current research projects.
- There is a small yet diverse group of students where close interaction can take place, both among students and with lecturers.
- You can develop further international experience through our visit to Vienna, which encompasses an academic institution and the United Nations, or through our double-degree agreement with the University of Warsaw.
- You will have access to comprehensive databases which can be explored in coursework as well as in the 2nd year dissertation.
- Professional placements for MSc in Economics graduates are excellent, as this degree gives you access to most job opportunities that arise in economics, finance and management.
MSc in Economics aims to prepare students for advanced professional work, in national or international institutions. Therefore the general objectives of the programme are:
- To provide students with a deeper knowledge of theoretical and empirical constructs in the main fields within Economics at an international level;
- To promote the development of modelling ability in economic theory and the use of advanced methods and techniques;
- To stimulate analytical and critical thought on the different approaches to economic issues;
- To stimulate the development of capabilities in autonomous and original work, promoting excellence in thought and action;
- To develop the students’ ability to summarise and communicate their work;
- To gain a level of economic knowledge enabling students to achieve high-quality performance suitable for various hierarchical levels and professional occupations.
Students are offered the possibility of completing a second international programme simultaneously, in partnership with another university. At successful completion of programme requirements the student is granted two degrees, one from each university. This opportunity suits students who seek to advance rapidly in their career in a short period of time, by obtaining a rich international experience.
In this programme there is a partnership with Warsaw University in Poland (AMBA accredited). There are no additional tuition costs.
Number of Years: 6
Date of Publication: 04-03-2015
Registration Number: R/A-EF 1050/2011/AL01
Registration Date: 01-09-2014