In 2021, Iscte Business School will participate for the first time in the European Ethics Bowl! This is a collaborative and competitive event, launched by three European universities and the European Investment Bank Institute, which offers participating teams the opportunity to debate ethical dilemmas related to economy, businesses, and society.
How does it work?
In each edition of the European Ethics Bowl, ethical issues are presented in the form of a case study. Participants will work together in teams of three to solve the case.
The first phase will take place at Iscte Business School in September 2021. The winning team will then represent the School in the European challenge (October-November 2021).
A panel of juries will evaluate the teams according to two criteria:
- Understanding of the ethical challenge posed by the case study;
- Solution found for the ethical problem, which will be evaluated according to its degree of inclusion, integrity and respect for diversity.
Why participate in the European Ethics Bowl?
This is a unique opportunity to participate in a pioneering initiative at Iscte Business School, with the support of the European Investment Bank Institute. Additionally, you will:
- Acquire knowledge and skills to deal with ethical issues that arise in the day-to-day life of companies and society;
- Improve your critical reflection and debate skills on current issues;
- Embark on a cultural experience where you will get to know students and institutions from all over Europe;
- Improve your communication, analysis, creativity, and teamwork skills.
Who can participate?
The European Ethics Bowl is aimed at faculty, undergraduate and master students of Iscte Business School (students currently enrolled at Iscte Business School or finishing their studies on 20/21). Each team will consist of three elements, that must be enrolled in at least two different programs.
What is the next step?
The European Ethics Bowl launch event at Iscte Business school will take place online, July 7th, from 9:30 am to 11:00 am. To participate on the launch event and receive the Zoom link, you must register using the form available on this page.
At the event, you will get more information about the constitution of the teams and the next steps.
The agenda will be the following (lisbon time):
- 9:30 - 9:45 – Welcome from Iscte Business School
- 9:45 -10:00 – Presentation of the European Ethics Bowl (Marjan Smonig, University of Ljubljana, School of Economics and Business)
- 10:00 - 10:15 – Importance of ethics in companies and society (Francisco Gonçalves, EY)
- 10:15 - 10:30 – Ethics in corporate governance structures (Manuela Silva, EDP Ethics Ombudsperson)
- 10:30 - 10:45 – Q&A
- 10:45 - 10:55 – Call for Iscte Business School Team for EEB 2021
- 10:55 - 11:00 – Closing remarks
- Registration Form for the Launch Event of the European Ethics Bowl - Portugal: https://forms.office.com/r/s6w1z5ruF5
- Contact: email@example.com
- Oficial website: https://europeanethicsbowl.eu